10 Useful Conversational Idioms
Hello Teachifyers and welcome back!
We hope that you had a lovely summer and did plenty of practice whilst we were away!
In today’s blog post we are going to be having a look at some idioms which can be used to expand on your conversational vocabulary and make you sound more like a native speaker when you speak! As with all idioms, these expressions can be used in a variety of different situations and contexts.
- Call it a day
To stop working on something or to finish something prematurely.
- It’s getting late and we’ve been working on this project for hours, shall we call it a day?
- A Blessing in Disguise
A good thing that seemed bad at first.
- In many ways the Coronavirus has been a blessing in disguise as we can now spend more time with the family.
- Hang in there
Don’t give up.
- I was exhausted half way through the marathon, but I hung in there and managed to finish!
- On the Ball
Focused or doing a good job.
- In this job you have to be on the ball, as the slightest mistake can cause serious problems.
- So far so Good
Things are good at the moment.
- I’ve been living with my girlfriend for 3 months now and we haven’t had any serious arguments yet, so far so good.
- Speak of the Devil
The person we are speaking about arrived.
- Gloria is a lovely woman and a hard worker, oh! Speak of the devil look who has just arrived!
- You can say That Again
When you agree with something.
A: It’s a nice day today
B: You can say that again!
- It’s not Rocket Science
When something isn’t that difficult.
- You should know how to cook pasta, it’s not rocket science.
- No Pain, No Gain
You Have to work hard for what you want.
- Come on keep going, you can do this! No pain no gain!
- Your Guess is as Good as Mine
I have no Idea.
- I don’t know when the Coronavirus crisis will end, your guess is as good as mine.
Clases de inglés Sevilla
Now let’s see if you can use them in context!
- Did you hear what Laura did? Ah!__________________ here she comes!
- Come on you know how to do it,__________________!
- It’s strange as in some ways the lockdown has been a_______________.
- Listen to me every thing is going to be alright______________, you can do this!
- Do you really think you are going to get promoted like that? You need to work much harder, remember ______________.
- Did you say Real Betis would win the league this season? ______________________.
- How’s the project going? _____________ we should be finished soon.
- Despite that, we can’t afford to lose concentration so make sure you stay ____________.
- It’s Friday so once you’ve filled out those forms, we’ll _____________ and go and get a drink.
- Do you have any idea how to change this file to make it smaller? No, I’m afraid not,______________________ to be honest.