Add to Your English Colloquial Vocabulary With These 7 Home Related Idioms!
In today’s blog post we are going to look at 7 colloquial phrases which include the words house or home. As usual these idioms can be used in a variety of different ways and situations. So take a look and add some to your vocabulary!
1. Get on Like a House on Fire
To become friends with somebody very quickly and to have a lot of things in common.
- Paul and Peter have so much to talk about, they get on like a house on fire.
This idiom dates back to the mid 1800s. The idea behind it is that with some people a friendship can develop as quickly as a house burns to the ground.
2. Home Truths
An unpleasant fact about yourself, usually pointed out by another person.
- He needed somebody to tell him some home truths.
This one also dates back to the 1800s, however the origins are unclear. It could perhaps be a reference to the home being private, therefore ‘truths’ about the home would be secret or embarrassing.
3. Make Yourself at Home
To feel relaxed and to behave as if you were in your own home.
- Relax, have a sit down and make yourself at home.
Clases de Inglés en Sevilla!
4. To be Home and Dry
Having achieved or to be in sight of ones objective.
- Real Betis are 3-0 up, they should be home and dry.
This Idiom alludes to a situation where you have finished your days work, gone home, had a shower, dried off and relaxed.
5. In House
Something that is done or carried out inside a company or organization.
- At this company we carry out all of our training in house.
6. A House Warming Party
A Party you have when you move into a new house.
- We’ve just moved to the area so we’ll be having a housewarming party at the weekend.
The term housewarming derives from the act of literally warming a house. Before central heating, guests would bring firewood and build fires to keep the house warm.
7. A Home From Home
A place where you feel as comfortable as you do in your own home.
- The Hotel room was a real home from home
I hope that you found these helpful, if you have any further questions leave a comment below!