12 Colour Related Idioms
As this week we have been talking about colours, we thought that we would share with you some of our favourite colour related idioms!
To be Caught Red Handed
To be discovered in the act of doing something wrong or illegal.
- He was caught Red Handed with the money in his bag when he was leaving the bank he had robbed.
Once in a Blue Moon
Out of the Blue
Something to happen unexpectedly or as a surprise.
- Stephen called today out of the blue, I haven’t spoken to him in over 3 months, I didn’t expect that.
Once in a Blue Moon
Something that occurs rarely.
- They come to visit once in a blue moon, in my opinion they should visit their parents more often.
Green With Envy
To be envious.
- I was green with envy when I saw that they had bought a new car.
To Have the Blues
To be sad.
- When she has the blues it’s difficult to cheer her up.
To see red
To feel sudden anger.
- His excuses made me see red! I started shouting and arguing with him.
English Classes in Seville
To be in the red
To be in debt.
- At the end of each month I am in the red. I always spend too much money and have to ask my parents to help me.
To fall unconscious.
- She was hit by a car, fell down and blacked out. We tried to wake her up for a few minutes.
To be Green
To be inexperienced.
- Even after the 2 month training that our company provides I am green.
A small lie, usually told to avoid hurting somebody’s feelings.
- When I was young, I was good at telling white lies. They never hurt anyone.
A talent for growing plants.
- My mother spends all of her free time in the garden. She has a green thumb.
A member of a group or family who behaves differently.
- Every family has a black sheep, for example an ungrateful daughter.
Now let’s see if you can use them in context.
- After they punched me I____________.
- He was_______________ stealing money from the shop.
- Tom is going on holiday next week, I’m so________________.
- I told a_________, I told her her pie tasted great despite the fact that it was horrible.
- After Simon was arrested for drunk driving, he was the___________ of the family.
- I am____________ at the moment so I can’t afford to buy a new car.
- After I broke up with my girlfriend I had_________ for many months.
- I am very good at my job, however_________________ there is an issue I can’t resolve.
- She called me completely______________ this week, it was totally unexpected.
- After the car crash I_________ and flew into a rage.
- I’m not very good with money, I am always____________.
- The new office assistant is so______, he’s useless!
- My dad’s got a___________, the garden is looking lovely!